Saturday, April 18, 2015

Filipino Dessert Galore

Hey everyone! So this is the final blog post assigned to us in English 5. It's been real fun being able to express your thoughts and opinions with others. After contemplating many ideas for my last blog post, I thought to myself, "What better way to end than with something sweet". That's right fellow readers, today we're going to be talking about some authentic Filipino desserts that are just down right exceptional.


Have you ever wanted something ice-cold, refreshing, and sweet with a unique blend of flavors? No I'm not talking about snow cones or ice cream, oh I'm talking about halo-halo. This Filipino dessert combines the various flavored coconut jello cubes with shaved ice, evaporated milk, shredded young
coconut and ube flavored ice cream. The flavor of all these ingredients contributes to the uniqueness of this dessert which can be  found in different asian Filipino markets such as Chow King, Red Ribbon, and Jollibee's. This sheer look of this dessert alone is enough to make heads turn. There are different types of halo halos that are customized to your preference. As a child I was always given the whole "shabang"(everything on it) of ingredients, which contributes to how I like my halo halo when ordering one.










Not in the mood for something cold? Have no fear! Turon is here! Turon known as "banana lumpia" is a Filipino dessert made with sliced bananas, sugar, egg, and a spring roll wrapper. Once the sugar coated banana is encased within the spring roll wrapping and bound together with a whisked egg, the turon is then deep fried until crispy and golden brown. This treat is guaranteed to satisfy that sweet
tooth with its crunchy sweet exterior and soft rich banana encased within. An eye catcher at family gatherings, this dessert will keep you coming back for more.











Last but not least we have the decadent leche flan which is one of my personal favorites because of its unique variations in different parts of the world. Leche flan is essentially a custard dessert made of evaporated and condensed milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. This mixture of ingredients is mixed
and steamed until firm, finalized with a layer of caramel sauce. Extremely rich and light, this dessert is delicious after those heavy meals. As a child I had always seen leche flan at parties, which encouraged me to eat dinner as fast as I could to eat this amazing dessert.







I hope you enjoyed Late Nights with Leonard! This is Leonard Yalong, signing off for one last time!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yum. Those look great. Thanks for the sweet ending

    ReplyDelete
  2. These desserts look very delicious! Do you have these desserts often? If you do I am jealous... In my Mexican culture we have something similar to the leche flan and it truly is a satisfying dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good is there any places that sell them already made?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice uses of wordplay! This post really is sweet. Even though, my family is from Thailand not Philippines , It's strange that my mom actually make these all the time. These deserts are all great! I love it all especially flan! I just had it a week ago , it's super easy to make and taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete